Your electric bill may be changing.

OPPD is always working hard to maintain the right balance of affordability, reliability and environmental sensitivity for our customers. We are currently looking at several ways to help maintain this balance, and we want you to know more about how we are rethinking rates.   

Today, 90 percent of your bill is based on how much energy you use. This has been the common practice for utilities across the country. But only 30 percent of OPPD’s costs are related to how much energy our customers use. The other 70 percent is spent on infrastructure, equipment and personnel – things that we need to pay for no matter how much energy is consumed. And with trends like rising costs and the slowing growth of energy usage due to energy awareness, increases in energy efficiency and new technologies, we need to find a new way to maintain balance.

OPPD is considering raising the service charge for all residential and small commercial customers. At the same time we would be lowering the usage charge – the amount you pay for the electricity you use. Our large industrial customers already have a billing structure that adequately covers their portion of the fixed costs. These changes would not bring in any additional revenue to OPPD, but would more accurately reflect the cost of providing reliable service to our customers. Changing the way we price energy will allow customers to use our product in the way they most prefer.

What is the Service Charge? 

The service charge is a fixed charge that stays the same every month. Currently this billing item covers a limited amount of the costs incurred to service every customer, including meters, meter reading, billing and customer service.  By 2019, OPPD’s proposal would include all customer, distribution and transmission costs as part of the fixed portion on the monthly bill.

To illustrate how the proposed new rate structure may impact your bill, OPPD has categorized customers into three groups based on their kilowatt usage: low = less than $80; medium = $80-$125; and high = more than $125. The charts below show a phased-in service charge beginning at $18 in June 2016, and going to $35 in 2019.

If you would like to learn how your account may be impacted, fill out a online comment form and include your phone number in the comment box, and someone will contact you.

How We Reached Out To You

Over the last several months, we sought our customers’ input on the proposed rate restructuring through:

  • 10 focus groups (8 for residential customers, 2 for commercial)
  • 8 public open houses across our service territory
  • Online comments made via
  • Online research panel (1,380 residential customers with low/average/high usage levels)

For More Information

Start by watching our Rethinking Rates video . If you have additional questions, please check out the list of Frequently Asked Questions.

The Energy Assistance Program can help you pay your energy-related expenses. View or download more information.

Our Level Payment Plan option will eliminate surprises in your bill by letting you know exactly how much your monthly payment will be no matter the weather. View or download level payment plan information.

Send Us Your Comments

Provide your comments online using the online comment form and let us know your thoughts about rate restructuring!

OPPD's Mission

Provide affordable, reliable and environmentally sensitive energy service to our customers.

OPPD Is Committed to:

  • Listening to, understanding and appreciating its customers, employees and stakeholders and their issues and concerns.
  • Partnering with customers, employees and stakeholders.
  • Continuing to build relationships with all customers, employees and stakeholders.